How to Conduct a Séance
A séance is a meeting at which a spiritualist attempts to receive communications from the spirits of the
dead. Here's are simple tips and instructions for performing a successful séance.
1. Gather together the people who will participate. Some say the number of participants must be divisible by three,
however, this is not an absolute rule. No fewer than three people should attempt a séance, since one will be the medium.
2. Choose a medium. He/she could be from among the participants, or a “professional” psychic. The person should
have had experience with séances, or is someone who tends to have psychic abilities.
3. Use a round or oval table. This helps create the symbolic circle believed necessary for the ritual, and is,
generally, more comfortable when people are close together and holding hands.
4. Set the table. In the center of the table, place some kind of simple, natural aromatic food, such as bread or
soup. This is believed to help attract the spirits who still seek physical nourishment.
5. Light candles. Also, in the center of the table, place no fewer than three (or a number divisible by three)
lit candles. Spirits still seek warmth and light. This will also be helpful to anyone who can scry by fire.
6. Create some atmosphere. Dim the lights and eliminate any distractions, such as music and television, and
noisy appliances should be turned off.
7. Join hands. Seated around the table, the participants must all join hands in a circle.
8. If summoning a particular spirit, the participants must speak these words together: "Our beloved [name of
spirit], we bring you gifts from life into death. Commune with us, (name of spirit), and move among us." Otherwise, if no
particular spirit is being called upon, say, “We call upon the spirits among us who wish to communicate. Please come fort
and make yourself known to us.”
9. Wait for a response. If none comes, repeat the chant until a spirit responds.
10. Communicate. If and when the spirit responds, either by rapping or some other means, or through the medium;
ask your questions. Do not shout out questions haphazardly; decide before hand who will ask the questions, whether it is the
medium, or another participant. If the spirit seems to be focused on a particular person, let that person ask the
11. Begin simply. Ask yes and no questions at first, use the method of: one rap for no, two raps for yes.
12. Communicate directly. If a spirit chooses to speak through the medium, you may ask any kind of question.
13. Maintain control. If the séance seems to be getting out of hand, end the séance by breaking the circle of
hands, extinguishing the candles and turning on the lights.
14. End the séance. When you're done with your questioning, thank the spirit for joining you and tell them to go
in peace. Break the circle of hands and extinguish the candles.
Words of caution:
Don't allow participants who you don't think could handle a séance psychologically. Children, for example,
must never participate.